Team Leader – Senior Controls Engineer/Technologist – ACM
Team Leader – Senior Controls Engineer/technologist
ACM Facility Safety, a division of ACM Automation Inc., is Canada’s leading independent consulting and technology provider in the fields of Process/Functional Safety Management, Risk Assessment and Process Safety Lifecycle services. Over the last 15 years, operating from our head office in Calgary, ACM has helped some of the world’s largest operating and engineering companies become self-sufficient leaders and ambassadors for Functional Safety.
ACM presently requires a Team Leader – Senior Controls Engineer / Technologist to lead a team of employees who are passionate about process safety, exhibit attention to detail and provide excellence in project delivery.
Our ideal candidate is a mid-career Controls professional who has demonstrated experience assessing and implementing Safety Instrumented Systems or Process Safety Management activities in a variety of fields (petrochemical, gas, pipeline, heavy oil, fertilizer, mining, utilities). Across your career you have 3-5 years of experience focused on the design and implementation of SIS Systems or Process Safety Systems in the Oil and Gas industry. Over your 5–15 year career you have exhibited strong team leadership skills and are adept at taking a project from concept to completion.
You have demonstrated a passion for process/functional safety and are keen to elevate your career in Process Safety Management through innovation and a mind set of continuous improvement with a world leader in the rapidly evolving fields of Process/Functional Safety. To match you accomplishments you have obtained TÜV-SIS Functional Safety Engineer accreditation or the equivalent across your career.
We want an engineer or technologist who is a leader and can drive results while fostering strong relationships with clients, regulatory bodies and industry leaders. Ultimately, if you are innovative, passionate about process safety, a trustworthy mentor and a reliable leader you have the character, motivation and capabilities we need.
Duties & Responsibilities:
- Provide project management and team leadership to:
- Develop and analyze control system requirements for existing and new facilities (i.e. petrochemical plants, pipelines and utilities).
- Evaluate existing/new control systems for reliability, availability, life cycle, testing procedures, maintenance and operating procedures.
- Analyze specifications for safety and control systems; produce block diagrams; propose control systems & instruments bus architectures; incorporate review comments into design requirements.
- Complete and report on SIL Determination and Validation Studies, Safety Requirements Specifications and Contingency table development.
- Evaluate control and safety system alternatives; prepare preliminary cost estimates; prepare reports with recommendations.
Education and Qualification:
- Engineering degree or Engineering Technologist diploma with I & C background.
- TÜV-SIS Functional Safety Engineer accreditation or equivalent.
- Minimum of 5 years experience in control systems.
- Minimum of 3 years of experience focused on the design and implementation of SIS systems in the Oil and Gas industry.
- Strong narrative, procedure writing, and presentation skills.
- Able to work in an office environment and at remote sites.
- Entrepreneurial aptitude.
- Excellent interpersonal skills (written and oral), proactive, organized, self motivated.
- Long term career interest.
- Team Leadership and Project Management.
- Experience in petrochemical, gas, pipeline, heavy oil, fertilizer, mining and utilities.
- Engineering and design experience with control systems & programming (i.e.: DCS, PLC, SIS).
- Hands on experience with operations, maintenance and engineering functions at plant sites.
- Generation of loop drawings, instrument specifications, and cable schedules, etc.
- Experience with HMI programming and data tables.
- Control panels design and control network architecture.
- Technical writing and presentations.
- Experience in development of shutdown keys, instrument systems, and fire & gas system.
- Vendor experience with ICSTriplex, Triconex and other SIS systems is an asset.
- Commissioning & start-up of SIS systems.
- Developed Safety Requirements Specifications, completed SIL Validation analysis and Safety Instrument Specifications.
- Facilitated HAZOP, SIL Determination/ Layer of Protection Analysis studies.
- Conducted Risk Assessment/reduction/acceptance studies and has applied a variety of Risk assessment techniques.
- Produced/assessed tolerability and ALARP arguments for clients.
- Familiar with recognized standards and procedures (ie. IEC 61511/61508 and ISA 84.).
- Proficient with the application of safety and general purpose computer tools/software.
- Conducted training courses in the field of Functional Safety, (SIL Determination and SIL Validation).
Calgary, Alberta, CANADA
Please go to www.acm.ab.ca to submit your cover letter and resume as well as the Self-Evaluation Experience form to email@example.com
ACM’s overall compensation package offers a competitive wage, a comprehensive Benefits Plan with a Group RRSP, a 4 ½ day work week and a refreshing workplace environment.
We wish to thank all applicants for their interest in ACM Facility Safety and advise that only candidates selected for an interview will be contacted.