Corporate Director, Process Safety
Company: Austin Group
Contact Name: Becky Daniel
Reports to: Executive Director of PSM and this position is being hired to be this manager’s successor who will retire in the next couple of years Location: Prefer NY because will have 4 direct reports there, but could do the job out of Danbury, CT
Travel: 35% travel globally
This position directs, organizes, and maintains safety programs, policies, and procedures on a global basis.
As a member of the Corporate Safety and Environmental Services organization, the Corporate Director, Process Safety will be responsible for developing, implementing, and overseeing global safety programs in all areas related to Praxair operational safety.
Responsibilities include, but are not limited to:
- Global leadership and sharing of safety best process safety practices across all Praxair business units and global regions.
- Development and implementation of processes to ensure continuous improvement of process hazards risk assessment and prevention programs.
- Central review and oversight of all process safety activities to ensure consistency and quality.
- Responsible for partnering with regional safety directors worldwide to ensure support is effectively provided in achieving our zero performance goal in safety, health and environmental areas.
- Interfaces with business and functional leaders across the company on process safety issues.
- Develops, distributes, updates and provides training for new process safety programs.
- Responsible for the identification of applicable externally imposed process safety standards and regulations and establishes procedures for their implementation.
- Leads internal process safety audits/assessments programs and provides assistance in implementing needed changes in order to achieve acceptable results.
- Conducts accident investigations including Root Cause Analysis of Process Safety events and key incidents.
- Investigates corrective actions following citations or safety incidents.
- Ensures compliance with process safety regulations.
- Provides effective leadership to direct reports through training, coaching, career planning and performance management.
Bachelor’s Degree (Chemical or Mechanical Engineering) required.
- 5+ years process safety experience in the chemical process industry required.
- 5+ years operations management experience in the chemical, refining or related industries required.
- Certified / Qualified Process Hazard Analysis (PHA) Leader with experience in HazOp, SIS and LOPA.
- Working knowledge of engineering, operations and safety standards.
- Working knowledge of OSHA PSM and EPA RMP regulations.
- Proven ability to work effectively at all levels internal and external to the organization.
- Experience in writing technical standards and procedures is preferred.
- Excellent communication skills.
- Demonstrated ability to implement global safety and environmental programs.
- Ability to influence leaders at all levels.
- Excellent program and project management skills.
- Strong analytical skills.
- Six Sigma and/or Lean Manufacturing experience strongly preferred.